Archive for ‘Quilting’

January 17, 2011

Quilt #5 Complete

Did you even know I was working on another quilt?  I’m sneaky sneaky :)

My husband’s cousin (my cousin-in-law?) got married this past weekend and in keeping with tradition, I made them a wedding quilt.  The happy couple are currently on a two-week honeymoon cruise and haven’t opened their gifts yet, but I figure it’s probably safe to post this now.  I’m not sure if our cousin even reads my blog, but I doubt she’d be checking up on me now even if she did!

(Please excuse the poor quality of these photos.  My camera broke, so I had to use my phone)

The idea for this pattern came from a supersized quilt block that I came across back in April and then soon after that I saw Oh, Fransson’s spiderweb quilt which is actually a mini quilt, but since there are no other comparison objects in the picture is looks full sized which I thought was totally awesome. And from there this quilt was born.

The color scheme came about just like the other quilts. I spent a lot of time thinking about the bride and the colors that came to my mind that I associated with her. She’s a calm, creative person, and likes modern design but also likes tradition and feminine touches. My original plan was to do all blue and white shades, some solid, some floral, like wedgwood china.  I also checked her registery and my color choices were right on–greys, blues, clean lines.  (Sidenote: I didn’t know this while I was working on the quilt, but her wedding colors were dark blue, silver, and white.  Crazy!  I think I have psychic color association skillz!)

I know she’s a Jane Austen fan and early on in her engagement had mused about wearing a lacy, long-sleeved, empire-waisted, Edwardian style wedding gown (she ended up going with a beautiful cream, ethereal, strapless dress with ruffly roses at the hip–so pretty!), so I tried to keep that aesthetic in mind when picking the fabrics.

However, I hunted around for a few months and had a really hard time finding exactly what I wanted.  The wedding was getting closer and I needed to get started on the construction, so at this point I was limited to the fabric I already owned.  I didn’t have enough of the right kind of blues to create what I was imagining in my head, so I decided to mix in some neutral beiges and creams. I think it really works! It’s not as blue as I would have liked, but all the colors mix well together and create the subdued vibe I was going for.

The fabric selections:
The plain white around each spiderweb were a couple curtain panels made out of thin cotton sheeting.
The blue floral was a queen-sized, Ikea duvet cover.
The solid brown was a linen Ikea curtain panel (also seen here as a lampshade).
The solid blue is the chambray leftover from making my Sangria on Sunday dress.
The rest I’ve been hoarding for a while after thrifting and garage sale-ing and hadn’t found a use for until now.

In fact, all the fabrics were either found at a thrift store or a garage sale, even the embroidery thread that I used to hand-embroider their monogram is from a small kit I found at a yard sale for $1 a couple summers ago. The only thing I bought at the fabric store was the quilt batting. I thought I had enough, but ended up making a quick trip to Joann’s at the last minute. Fortunately, it was 50% off so I only payed $12!

My plan for the back was to have it be a whole cloth.  I assumed that I had more than enough of the blue floral, but when I was finally ready to start sandwiching, I actually measured it and found that it was about 2″ too small all the way around.  Agghhh!  I was really hoping to have the back plain, but ended up piecing together some strips leftover from the other fabric and increased the width and length just enough to cover everything.  The best thing about the back of a quilt is that it doesn’t require much rhyme or reason which really takes the pressure off.  I don’t have to worry so much about being precise when it comes to the back.

All in all, I’m very pleased with how this one turned out.  It seemed like it came together very quickly, but I think I’m just getting better with practice :)  I worked on it off and on for about 3 weeks, but if I didn’t have a full-time job and I had all day to sew, total time spent on it probably would have been about 5 days.  I don’t know if I get faster with practice, but it certainly gets easier.

And quilting is still a thoroughly enjoyable project for me!  I hope they enjoy it as much as I had fun making it. 

Advertisements
April 7, 2010

Supersize Quilt Block

This is one of those “Why Didn’t I Think of That?” ideas:  Take a quilt block and supersize it to make a full quilt!

April is Quilting Month at Sew Mama Sew and in this particular post, Malka of a stitch in dye shows us how to make this.  In the pic above, those are two completed quilts each done with shoo-fly blocks.  The one on the right is 70″ x 70″!  Each block measures 35″ x35″.  Wow!

This technique would really work for ANY block pattern and it looks so modern!  Great for fabric with large-scale prints, too.  I am definitely keeping this in consideration for my next quilt project :)  Off to look for a fun block that can translate well to HUGE!

March 17, 2010

Anna Maria Horner: All Voile

I’ve never sewn with voile, but I love wearing it!  Never thought to quilt with it.  I must try this! What a luxurious summer blanket it would make. All the sun we’ve been getting lately has me thinking about vibrant colors, too! I guess I am ready for summer.

(found via whip up)